Keeping his promise to make San Antonio the City You Deserve
- Introduced Connect SA, a framework for comprehensive, multi-modal transportation solutions to be approved by voters. Click here to read more about Connect SA and the proposed framework to regional transportation plan.
- Established a City Council Transportation Committee to focus on transportation and mobility
- Increased funding for the Street Maintenance program by 72%, to $110 million for 2019.
- Prioritized street upgrades across the city.
- Added additional $10 million annually for VIA to enhance bus service.
- Reversed the rise of violent crime and brought overall crime rate to a 30-year low.
- Added 85 first responders to San Antonio streets.
- Added two civilian and eight park police positions.
- Added funding for 4 cadet classes.
- Formed Opioid Task Force, which secured $5 million in federal grants to purchase and distribute 25,000 doses of overdose reversal drugs.
- Created the Mayor’s Housing Policy Task Force to address the city’s growing need for affordable housing.
- Secured a $17 million budget increase to address affordable housing.
- Click here to read the comprehensive affordable housing report from the Mayor’s Housing Policy Task Force.
- Created Blue Chip Jobs Council to recruit top local business leaders to assist in economic development efforts.
- Led the charge for approval of city incentive agreements that created or retained over 7,000 jobs.
- Successfully recruited the 2021 NCAA Women’s Final Four and the 2025 NCAA Men’s Final Four.
- Successfully secured relocations or major expansions including Ernst & Young, PennFed, OKIN, HUT Group, USAA, TaskUs, CaptureRX and Credit Human, to name a few.
- Awarded the Small Business Advocate Award from the U.S. Conference of Mayors.
- Increase transparency at City Hall and in government agencies.
- Stiffened reporting requirements for political contributions and reporting.
- Increased disclosure requirements for zoning applicants.
- Increased disclosure requirements for those seeking housing tax credits.
- Implemented equity budgeting to ensure every area of town is treated fairly when city dollars are allocated.
- Led city’s much-lauded response to Hurricane Harvey.
- Worked with state legislators to preserve buffer zones around local military bases.
- Worked with state legislators to preserve local control for cities.
- Rescued the beleaguered Tricentennial program.